Monday, May 21, 2012

Five Dollars




Leaving my apartment, I go along the outside walkway and out the metal grill to the alley. Immediately ahead I see a woman about my age digging into the trash. I walk past, glancing at her. She ignores me. Her grey hair is matted; her skin is dirty, too. She has to be in her sixties like me. After a few steps I turn around and walk up to her. I hand her a five dollar bill that I have just taken from my pocket. "Here, " I say. She reaches out and takes it. She looks at it. "Wait a minute," she says. 
I am just walking off. I turn back. "Yes?"
"Why did you give this to me? 
"I thought you needed it?"
"But why give it?" Her expression is very serious. She holds the money like she may give it back. 
"Because I care about you," I say. 
She breaks into a full smile. 
"Thank you, then," she says. 


I Am Everyone I Meet: Random Encounters on the Streets of Los Angeles. Pick it up for 99 Cents today! 

Copyright 2012 All Rights Reserved (No part of this work may be reproduced, except to quote on blogs and reviews, without the express permission of the author)


No comments: